Questions 1-10 are Antonyms. Find the word most nearly OPPOSITE in meaning to the given word.
1. Whet is most nearly opposite in meaning to
2. Obstreperous is most nearly opposite in meaning to
3. Peripheral is most nearly opposite in meaning to
4. Ossified is most nearly opposite in meaning to
5. Disingenuous is most nearly opposite in meaning to
6. Disheveled is most nearly opposite in meaning to
7. Duplicitous is most nearly opposite in meaning to
8. Untoward is most nearly opposite in meaning to
9. Unequivocal is most nearly opposite in meaning to
10. Enervating is most nearly opposite in meaning to
Questions 11-20 are Synonyms. Find the word most SIMILAR in meaning to the given word.
11. Unprepossessing is most similar in meaning to
12. Turbid is most similar in meaning to
13. Potable is most similar in meaning to
14. Flagrant is most similar in meaning to
15. Undermine is most similar in meaning to
16. Tenuous is most similar in meaning to
17. Parochial is most similar in meaning to
18. Destitute is most similar in meaning to
19. Tacit is most similar in meaning to
20. Palliative is most similar in meaning to
Questions 21-25 are sentence completions. Choose the answer which contains the words that best fit the blanks and complete the meaning of the given sentence.
21. Federer gave a ____ performance in the final; the spectators were treated to a display of his ____ abilities on the court.
A. stupendous - inconsolable
B. consummate - peerless
C. disappointing - incomparable
D. competent - waning
E. stellar - limited
22. The critics ____ remarks helped us to understand the implications of this ____ film, a film that was really ground-breaking in its approach.
A. instructive - pedestrian
B. polemical - provocative
C. pertinent - avant-garde
D. unwarranted - conservative
E. helpful - innocuous
23. The Chaplin films that she watched when young left a(n) ____ impression on Suzie, and she now has a ____ appetite for reading anything remotely related to Chaplinís life and works.
A. overwhelming - blunted
B. forcible - terrible
C. negative - sharpened
D. indelible - voracious
E. evanescent - reduced
24. The lawyer was ____ for conduct that was in complete violation of legal procedures: he was found to have ____ a member of the jury.
A. reprimanded - observed
B. disbarred - suborned
C. expelled - questioned
D. commended - mislead
E. disqualified - rejected
25. The management had to admit to clandestine activities when the union leader was able to supply ____ evidence that an agitator had been planted among the members in order to ____ trouble and discredit the union.
A. egregious - avert
B. undeniable - mollify
C. circumstantial - prevent
D. unsubstantiated - instigate
E. incontrovertible - foment
This vocabulary test is designed for use with Word Focus
Find out more about Word Focus
* Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with this website.
All content of site and tests copyright © 2013 Study Mode, Inc.