Questions 1-10 are Antonyms. Find the word most nearly OPPOSITE in meaning to the given word.
1. Appease is most nearly opposite in meaning to
2. Meager is most nearly opposite in meaning to
3. Anomalous is most nearly opposite in meaning to
4. Salubrious is most nearly opposite in meaning to
5. Regurgitate is most nearly opposite in meaning to
6. Callous is most nearly opposite in meaning to
7. Meticulous is most nearly opposite in meaning to
8. Holistic is most nearly opposite in meaning to
9. Inane is most nearly opposite in meaning to
10. Exacerbate is most nearly opposite in meaning to
Questions 11-20 are Synonyms. Find the word most SIMILAR in meaning to the given word.
11. Indomitable is most similar in meaning to
12. Prudent is most similar in meaning to
13. Prolific is most similar in meaning to
14. Obsequious is most similar in meaning to
15. Sardonic is most similar in meaning to
16. Puerile is most similar in meaning to
17. Sequester is most similar in meaning to
18. Florid is most similar in meaning to
19. Circumvent is most similar in meaning to
20. Ratify is most similar in meaning to
Questions 21-25 are sentence completions. Choose the answer which contains the words that best fit the blanks and complete the meaning of the given sentence.
21. It was difficult to interpret the expression on the professorís face when confronted with the suspicion that you copied your assignment, but his ____ demeanor does not justify your assumption that he ____ plagiarism.
A. glacial - misunderstands
B. inscrutable - condones
C. open - abhors
D. pleasant - confronts
E. puzzling - practices
22. Knowing that Moriarty was a ____ adversary, the cautious detective never underestimated his enemyís powers, and so, to ensure that he was not observed, took a ____ route to his secret rendezvous.
A. redoubtable - circuitous
B. cunning - elevated
C. famous - well-known
D. defeated - direct
E. unsavory - quick
23. The action committee collected enough funds to renovate the ____ station and refurbish the steam train so that local residents could get a flavor of the ____ days of rail travel.
A. razed - decrepit
B. ancient - impoverished
C. derelict - halcyon
D. pristine - bygone
E. unspoiled - glorious
24. The fact that tourists are being offered an excursion to see the biggest slum in Asia and experience for themselves the ____ the lives of the rich and the poor makes a ____ all our claims to be an advanced democratic nation.
A. inequality of - display of
B. disparity between - travesty of
C. similarity in - mockery of
D. proximity of - comment on
E. futility of - statement about
25. The participants at the conference were, by and large, a ____ collection of self-proclaimed revolutionaries and mavericks, but surprisingly included several ____ supporters of the establishment.
A. moth-eaten - temporary
B. miserable - jovial
C. curious - vacillating
D. dull - boorish
E. motley - staunch
This vocabulary test is designed for use with Word Focus
Find out more about Word Focus
* Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with this website.
All content of site and tests copyright © 2013 Study Mode, LLC.